Vintage 2014
Wine Type White
Varietal Sauvignon Blanc
Region Napa Valley
Winemaker Harry Hansen
Our Sauvignon Blanc combines crisp, bright flavors with well-balanced weight and body. We use fruit from several vineyards, creating an expression of Napa County. A small percentage of barrel aging provided depth and structure to the bright flavors. The 2014 vintage was a long growing season, producing expressive varietal character and balance in the wines.

Tasting Notes

Our 2014 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc displays the elegance of its pedigree with a wine that is refreshing, bright and balanced. At its core, it has expressive Calistoga character, offering white peach, crisp pear and citrus. A small amount of barrel fermentation and lees stirring adds complexity and weight. This gives the palate a soft approach up front with a bright grapefruit character across the finish. Pair with scallops in a lemon beurre blanc, which will complement the wine’s citrus notes and pull forward the fruit.

Vineyard Notes

Our Sauvignon Blanc has a beautiful expression of place, with a majority of the fruit from vineyards near our winery, namely our Calistoga Ranch, Bear Flats, Larsen Ranch and Tamagni Vineyard. At the northern end of the valley, these vineyards experience large temperature swings between hot days and cool nights, imparting lovely round citrus notes to the fruit. Because the season is longer and warmer, the grapes outgrow the typical herbaceous qualities of the varietal and instead develop vibrant grapefruit and lemon-lime notes.

Vintage Notes

An early spring followed a mild winter in 2014, creating ideal conditions for bloom and fruit set. Moderate temperatures continued throughout the summer that allowed the grapes to ripen at a steady pace. The long growing season, coupled with no significant weather contributed to wines with expressive varietal character and balance.

Winemaking Notes

We harvested our fruit over a period of three weeks in late August, picking the fruit at the peak of ripeness. To capture the bright, fresh character, we fermented 90 percent of the grapes in stainless steel tanks at low temperatures. We used selected yeasts to help with aroma development and flavor extraction. The remaining 10 percent was barrel fermented in neutral French oak, which added depth and structure.