Irresistibly charming, our 2017 Chardonnay has gracious California style with vibrant fruit and supple texture. Apricot, Bartlett pear and hints of peach and pineapple are layered by lovely pie spices and toasty maple, vanilla notes. The palate is long and round with rich viscosity that comes from malolactic fermentation and the combination of oak aging with lees stirring. Clean, ripe citrus flavors extend the finish and add a refreshing lift to the rich fruit. A go-to Chardonnay, this wine has the perfect poise for any occasion. Pair it with grilled chicken, seafood or light pastas.
We sourced our Chardonnay from several vineyards along California’s Central Coast. Influenced by the nearby Pacific Ocean, these coastal sites have a cool marine influence that allows the fruit to mature slowly for bright, balanced flavors. Our Paris Valley Ranch Vineyard, which is nestled against the foothills of southern Monterey County, produces rich tropical and bright citrus flavors. Warmer daytime temperatures and nighttime cooldowns at our Red Hills Vineyard in Paso Robles result in riper flavors of apricot and melon. The remainder comes from Paicines, a unique region nestled in the Pinnacles mountain range that offers more of the Bartlett pear and baked red apple notes.
2017 was another great vintage throughout California, on par with the previous wonderful 2016 vintage. Warm spring temperatures and even weather throughout the growing season led to an earlier than normal harvest for most of the Napa Valley and other regions throughout the state. California’s continued drought led to lower yields in the vineyards but produced fruit of exceptional quality, concentrated fruit flavors and color.
The grapes for our Chardonnay were harvested in the cool morning hours. To preserve the fruit character, we maintained these low temperatures for a majority of the fruit through fermentation. We fermented 90% of the juice from these grapes with a combination of French and American oak to support the fruit and add subtle notes of baking spices, and the remaining 10% was fermented without oak. Additional weightiness was achieved with malolactic fermentation and regular lees stirring.