90 Points - JamesSuckling.com
"Green apples, limes and freshly squeezed lemons. Light to medium body, fresh acidity and a bright finish. " - James Suckling, May 2019
90 Points - Wine Spectator
"Lip-smacking and juicy, offering a sophisticated blend of pear, melon and citrus flavors, along with lemon verbena and fresh ginger details that linger on the smooth, clean, fresh finish. Drink now." - Wine Spectator, June 2019
Bracing acidity and distinctive freshness is the hallmark of this vintage, with a crisp backbone and bold flavors of green apple, pear, melon, lime and gooseberries framed with grapefruit and white peaches. Medium-bodied, juicy and pleasantly smooth to drink, the memorable finish lingers a while.
The Sterling Vineyards Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc fruit comes principally from a selection of prestigious vineyards throughout the region including Calistoga Ranch, Bear Flats, Larsen Ranch and Tamagni vineyards. Gamble Ranch, mid valley in Oakville, contributes tropical notes of guava and distinct aromas winemakers playfully call an “artful stinkiness” (a good thing). Many of these vineyards are located mostly in the northern and warmer end of the valley, allowing the grapes plenty of sunshine days and warmth to fully ripen and develop intense fruit character. The summer evenings are cool in the Napa Valley and the grapes maintain a high level of acidity which shines in the final bottling. A small amount of wine is aged in neutral oak to add texture to the wine.
Early season rains brought yields back to normal levels this year, mitigating the extended drought that afflicted most of California. A cool spring resulted in normal timing for bud break, in late March. Temperatures remained cool in May and June, but high temperatures in July triggered an early start to harvest. Quality was solid for the vintage overall. Fruit was harvested between August 24 and September 5, 2017.
The Sauvignon Blanc fruit was harvested in the cool morning hours and sent directly to press at the winery. The grapes were fermented in 90percent stainless-steel tanks to retain the bright fruit character and fresh acidity. The remaining 10 percent of the blend was barrel fermented in neutral French oak to impart weight and texture to the overall mouthfeel.